The Indian Cricket Board postponed the Indian Premier League (IPL) indefinitely in the wake of the Coronavirus.
The 13th edition of the Indian Premier League was scheduled to take place from March 29 but was postponed to April 15 due to the threat of the Coronavirus on March 13.
However, Corona cases have been on the rise in India during this time and the federal government has also increased the nationwide lockdown till May 3.
Now the Indian Cricket Board says that since the government has increased the lockdown period, it is not possible to hold the tournament so they are postponing it indefinitely.
Speaking at a press conference with the franchise owners and sponsors of the Indian Cricket Board, said,
“The health and safety of the people and the safety of everyone connected with the game is our priority”.
The Indian board says it is in touch with all stakeholders and is constantly monitoring the situation to make the final decision on holding the tournament.
The Indian board did not provide any possible date for the future of the tournament.
It is believed that over 12,000 cases of Corona have been reported in India and 420 have been killed so far.